OFTEN IMITATED, NEVER EQUALED.
The heart of all models is the original BIRKENSTOCK footbed. The construction has been thought out to the smallest details imitates a footprint in the sand. The original BIRKENSTOCK footbed provides shock absorption and the gripping motion needed to keep the shoe on your foot provide exercise and may improve circulation. The anatomical moldings, may relieve pressure when you walk, helping to provide relief for your feet, joints and back.
1. HEEL CUP - The molding in the heel area supports the heel tissue and holds the heel bone firmly in its natural position.
2. HEEL MOLD - The outer arch support promotes movement that is easy on the joints and reduces the likelihood of twisting your ankle. The heel mold activates the calf muscles, stabilizes the back of the foot, and improves gait and coordination.
3. LONGITUDINAL ARCH SUPPORT - The arch support that runs along the side of the footbed surrounds the tarsal bone inside and out. As a result, they provide the foot with the stability it needs when taking steps, while supporting and strengthening the inner arch. It stabilizes the back of the foot, therefore improving gait and coordination.
4. TRANSVERSE ARCH SUPPORT - This support, which runs through the middle of the footbed, stabilizes the metatarsal bone, reduces the pressure on the balls of the feet and helps prevent splayfoot. In this way, the transverse arch support helps ensure that the foot has a naturally straight and solid stance.
5. TOE GRIP - Raised indentations are applied to the front of the footbed near the toes. Thanks to the toe grip, the toes remain relaxed in their natural position. It also supports the natural flexing action while walking.
6. FOOTBED EDGE - The footbed is drawn up especially high at the front end. As a result, the high footbed edge protects the toes during the rolling movements of the foot.
Anyone who talks about footbeds is talking about BIRKENSTOCK. What is now a byword for outstanding comfort was first used by BIRKENSTOCK in the 1930s to describe anatomically molded insoles offering exceptional support. Unlike the other orthopaedic corrective and support insoles available at the time (which were designed to support and correct medical deformities of the feet), the footbed was designed to keep feet healthy. The sophisticated design, which is modelled on a footprint in the sand, enables feet to stand for several hours in the wearer´s shoes while keeping the strain to a minimum.
It is all thanks to the flexible cork and latex core, which is the starting and reference point for all subsequent developments – developments that are continuing to this day. The original BIRKENSTOCK footbed is still made purely from natural and renewable materials, such as light natural cork, select jute, high-quality natural latex, and hand-picked suede. The result is a pleasant foot climate and unbeatable comfort.
Anyone who wants their shoes to be a smidgen softer should opt for the BIRKENSTOCK Soft Footbed. Here, a permanently elastic latex cushion has been integrated beneath the suede lining. It always returns to its original shape and gently cushions every single step. You´ll feel like there are clouds beneath your feet.
1. SUEDE LINING - The general term for a type of leather that has been buffed, called full-grain leather (or colloquially known as buckskin). This material is used to make the top layer of our footbed, which comes into contact with the foot. The flexible lining, which is gentle on the skin, nestles up softly against your foot and adjusts to its contour. The surface is open-pored, so it is especially breathable. It makes for a comfortable foot climate, even during more strenuous physical activity. Moisture is controlled in part by the underlying layer of jute.
2. FOAM INSERT (ONLY ON THE SOFT FOOTBED) - The soft footbed is padded with an anatomically shaped foam inlay. It contains millions of tiny air bubbles which provide an especially comfortable wearing experience.
3. SECOND LAYER OF JUTE - The second layer of jute is placed around the sides of the footbed. This increases the flexibility of the footbed and makes a significant contribution to its durability. This layer of thick, absorbent jute helps regulate moisture.
4. CORK AND LATEX FOOTBED - The cork and latex footbed is the heart of all BIRKENSTOCK shoes. The shock-absorbing and highly flexible cork and latex core supports and relieves pressure on feet. The natural material is heat and cold insulating and keeps feet fresh.
5. FIRST LAYER OF JUTE - The first layer of jute forms the basis of our footbed. It helps bond the natural cork and latex core.
6. FLEXIBLE EVA OUTSOLE
LAYER BY LAYER
The orignial BIRKENSTOCK footbed combines natural materials from sustainable sources with outstanding functionality. The smooth suede lining is the first layer that delivers comfort. It is wonderfully soft, absorbing moisture and wicking it away to the thickly woven jute layer below. Underneath this, the cork and latex core forms the heart of the footbed. It cushions impacts and supports the foot every step of the way. The stabilizing design is rounded off with a layer of coarse jute and the sturdy EVA outsole providing the foot with additional relief.
Anyone who wants their shoes to be a bit softer should opt for the BIRKENSTOCK soft footbed. Here, a permanently elastic latex cushion has been inserted right below the suede lining. It gently cushions every step and always returns to its original form. Like walking on air!
The Super Grip Sole
The super grip sole consists of two components: a heavily cushioned midsole made of EVA (ethylene-vinyl-acetate) and an antislip rubber outer sole tested in accordance with EN ISO 20347:2012 SRC. The outer sole is also oil- and grease-resistant. The super grip sole is ideal for daily use in hospitals, kitchens, the catering sector, and leisure time.